Grilled prawn and chorizo tortillas
“Generously stuffed tortillas with the molten cheese spilling out… is there a better snack food?”
Generously stuffed tortillas with the molten cheese spilling out… is there a better snack food? I don’t think so! This variant with slightly spicy chorizo, cajun prawns and cheddar cheese works best when prepared on a pizza stone to make the tortillas extra crispy. Don’t have a pizza stone? No worries, you can just use the grate on your BBQ, just keep an eye on the temperature and don’t let them burn.
- 10½ (300g) oz prawns, size 31/40 (usually large)
- 3 tbsp cajun spices
- 2 red onions, cut into thin rings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tortillas (10 inch diameter)
- 10½ oz (300g) grated cheddar
- 7 oz (200g) chorizo sausage, cut into small cubes
- 4 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- zest of 2 limes
Argentinian salsa criolla
- 3 large tomatoes, skin and seeds removed, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- BBQ with cover
- Pizza stone (optional)
- Wide spatula
How to make:
Duration: prep ½ hour
Cooking: about 15 minutes
Mix together all ingredients for the salsa and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Prepare a BBQ for direct grilling and heat to 180 °C (356 °F).
Defrost the prawns and pat them dry. Season with the cajun spices and briefly grill until cooked. Try not to break the onion rings while coating them with oil and sprinkling with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill the onion rings briefly, until soft.
Place 4 tortillas on a work surface and divide the cheddar, chorizo cubes, grilled prawns, onion rings, flat leaf parsley, and lime zest evenly. Cover with the other 4 tortillas and press firmly. If you have a pizza stone, place it on the BBQ and heat for about 10 minutes. Use a wide spatula to place your stuffed tortillas on the pizza stone and cover for about 3 minutes, until the underside is nicely browned. Use the spatula to flip the tortillas and cover for another 3 minutes until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Remove your quesadillas from the BBQ and cut into 6 slices each. Serve with the Argentinian salsa criolla for the best result.